Sunday, February 6, 2011

conviction

So over the past few years I have found myself addicted to Facebook.  Yes, I admit it.  Addicted.  I started a Facebook to keep in touch with all of my Bible College friends and soon it became a pretty reliable way to communicate with people I see even multiple times a week.  It was an easy place to share my life with others who didn't live close by.  I posted wedding pictures and pictures of my son.  Facebook is wonderful that way ... you can know exactly what it going on in all of your friend's lives (and them of my life) without having to spend hours on the phone.  Instead, I would spend hours each week on Facebook.  Ha.  I'd click on one friend's profile and then a mutual friend would leave a comment on their page and I'd click on their profile and on and on ... before I know it, I had been Facebook stalking for 30 minutes.  But had I spent any time with the Lord that day?

Then came along my bouncing baby boy, Seth.  My free time was severely diminished and the time I did have I just wanted to clock out.  Facebook.  Just wander on Facebook.  But before I knew it, days would go by and I hadn't had any quality time sitting before my Savior's feet.   The conviction from the Spirt was building.  I've tried just not going on Facebook as often before ... like that ever worked.  Ha.  I just didn't have the will power ... I'll admit it.  Some people might be able to do that (like Jack who rarely ever checks his Facebook), I just can't.  Then one night we were having a tough time with Seth.  He was just crying and screaming for no apparent reason.  For over almost an hour.  Jack and I were so saddened/worried/distraught as to what was going on.  So we prayed.  During that time of prayer the Lord revealed this addiction I had to Facebook and how it had taken the place of my time with Him.  So I nixed it.  Deleted.  Gone.  No more will relations with others come between relations with my God in this way.  My husband and son need me at my best.  My best is when I am intimately adoring my Father.  God wants my undistracted heart.  In my life, that means no more Facebook.  

I must say that I'm sad to have had to let it go ... especially being able to so easily share the growth of my little family to everyone on Facebook.  But that is why I have decided to start a blog.  This blog.  To share us with whomever cares to follow. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment