Thursday, August 11, 2011

romance?

My husband is teaching tonight at church.  Throughout the week he's been practicing his study on me, discussing things he's been going over and showing me new things he's learned.  I love it when he teaches.


This week he's teaching on John 1:1-18.  In the beginning was the Word.  He's talking all about Jesus: who He is and who He isn't.  As an analogy, Jack is sharing the story of how our dating relationship progressed.  For those of you who don't know, Jack and I met on MySpace (a long story, for another time).  At first we were just e-mailing once or twice a month, then we started talking on the phone and pretty soon we were communicating every day in some way, shape or form.  But then even that wasn't enough.  Our relationship got to a place where we had to see each other, so as soon as we could (we were living hundreds of miles away from each other at the time), we met up face-to-face.


Do you know that that's how our relationship with God is?


When we first meet Him, it might be slow at first ... a few prayers lifted up occasionally, a couple of chapters read of His Word ... but as we communicate with Him each day, our relationship grows.  We get to know His voice.  We get to know who He is, what His desires are.  We are in a spiritual romance with God.  He wants us to meet with Him each day, to be in His presence.  It's like our time here on earth is our "dating" time with Christ.  We're getting to know Him.  And then, one day, when He sees fit, He calls us to be with Him in His physical presence.  Oh, how great of a day that will be!  The Bible describes our coming to be with Him as a wedding - Christ is the groom and we, as the church, are His bride.  Can you imagine what kind of a celebration it will be?!  


It also made me think of the other side of the romance.  When you're dating someone, you talk to them each day.  You spend time with them.  You share your life with them, and them with you.  But, in this romance with God, do I spend time sharing my life with Him?  Do I sit and listen to Him, conversing with Him, seeking His face and studying Him?  How weird would it be to say that I am in a relationship with someone and yet, I haven't talked with him in a few days or even weeks.  I might have called to say hi once and awhile, but that's it.  "Oh nothing's wrong ... we're not mad at each other ... I just had other things I was doing.  Yes, we're still in a relationship.  I'm in love with him!  I'd give anything up for him ..."  I'm sorry, but that's no relationship at all!  And that's exactly what we do - well, I do - with our spiritual romance.  We don't spend time with God, and assume we're still in a relationship with Him.  Or when we do get together, I do all the talking.  That's not a healthy relationship either!


Man, I'm convicted.  I need to go seek His presence ...

1 comment: