Wednesday, April 20, 2011

with Jesus

My Grandpa went to be with Jesus last night.  His entire family, minus me, Jack, Seth and my brother Joel,  were by his side, reading Scripture when he passed.  


When my dad called to tell me, I was in a bit of shock even though I knew it was coming.  Death is just so unnatural.  We were never created to die.  Nature was never intended to decay and die.  But because of one man's sin, all creation is affected.  I will never see my Grandpa on this earth again.  I will never hear his funny, random comments or see his trail of toothpicks throughout the house again.  But he's with Jesus now.  Jesus.  And I'm not just saying he's in a "better place" or "in heaven" like many people do, just to console themselves at the end of a loved ones life.  My Grandpa was more than a "good" person.  My Grandpa was actually a Christ follower.  It's more than being in heaven.  He is bowing his head at the throne of Jesus Christ his Redeemer!


I am grateful that the last time I saw him was while Seth and I were Skyping him and my Grandma a couple of months ago.  Grandma was up front on the screen doing all the talking and there was Grandpa in the back, making funny faces and waving his hands around, trying to get Seth to laugh.  I was the one laughing!  After a few minutes he got up and announced he was going to take a nap, said goodbye, and left the room.


For the past few years I think my Grandpa knew his time on this earth was coming to an end.  He was taking many opportunities to share bits of wisdom with me and others.  The summer after graduating Bible College, I went to spend a couple of weeks with my grandparents.  One day my Grandpa sat me down and told me a story of how my aunt lost her best friend in a car accident when she was in high school.  While she was struggling with the hows and whys of the situation, my Grandpa said he told her this at that time, and he's telling me now: Never question God.  I've never forgotten it.


Please keep my family in prayer, as though we're rejoicing that he's finally home, it's still hard to lose a husband, father, grandfather, great grandfather and friend.


Dick Carlisle Hull
March 11, 1930-April 19, 2011






No comments:

Post a Comment